The Next Chapter in My Journey

Wednesday, November 23, 2016



After the unexpected departure of a phenomenal instructional leader in June, I continued to pursue other opportunities.  The hardest part of this journey was listening to what God was telling me as doors continued to open and close, each and every day.  My prayer quickly shifted from my need to His need.  A prayer of escape to a prayer of need.  My morning quiet time that day focused on listening when God says no.  I had a new found peace of where I was to be during the 2016-2017 school year.  I was to be an interventionist/8th grade math teacher, with the same students and coworkers. 

So after a morning of working back to school registration, I began the great reorganization of what would soon become a part of my story, in just a matter of a few hours.  Supplies were organized and manipulatives were put away.  Desks were moved into collaborative groups and fabric was hung.  Despite the unknown, a sense of a new beginning was starting to take hold in A11, as I would begin a new role as RtI interventionist.  Again, a new found peace!

3:37 PM, on Tuesday, August 9th, the day and time that one chapter in my learning journey and a new one would begin.   The moment I would look down at my phone, recognizing the number but unsure of who it was. The cloud of uncertainty lifted as I listened to the voicemail left by a recognizable voice; a familiar voice, with whom I had interviewed with in May.  A voice that offered opportunity for personal growth and reflection.  A voice that offered an opportunity to join the staff of North Richland Middle School in Birdville ISD, as an 8th grade math teacher. 

Upon hanging up the phone and verbally accepting the offer, the ball began rolling…sometimes fast and sometimes slow!  I would officially be released from my contract pending the hiring of my replacement.  Crazy thing is my position was posted before I even officially resigned!  I gave my official written notice at 11:00 AM on Wednesday, August 10th.  The next few days were a whirlwind of new hire professional learning, teacher prep day and closure.  

Due to the hiring process, I began our first week of professional learning as a GCISD employee.  When a suitable candidate was found and my position was offered, I was officially released from my contract on Wednesday morning, just 5 days before students would arrive on campuses across the DFW Metroplex! 

Remember the huge sense of accomplishment I felt as I set up my classroom?  I’m grateful it lingered and provided the much needed motivation to pack up my belongings and move across town in a matter of a few hours that Wednesday evening.  



Thursday, August 18th at 10:00 AM, I walked into the cafeteria at NRMS as the newest member of the Falcon Family! 


No comments