Grateful for the Colleagues Who Bring Me JOY!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016


Awkward.  Shy. Tentative.  Nervous.  Excited?

Walking into my new building was intimidating on that Thursday back in August.  However, the feeling of intimidation quickly subsided when I was greeted with smiles by our awesome administrative staff in the front office and then by my new department!  Everyone was able to put a face and name with "the new math teacher," as Mr. V introduced me.  I was no longer an enigma, but a member of the NRMS faculty!

Joining a new school community is not easy, no matter if it's your first day of teaching or the start of your 16th year.  I'm beyond grateful for my fellow teachers and coworkers who have taken the time to get to know me, both as an educator and as a person.


To Jaci, you welcomed me the minute I accepted the job.  From those first days where you stayed late to fill me in on all of the information I missed during professional learning to the crazy texts (and snaps) we send that just make me smile, you bring so much peace and joy to each day at NRMS.  Your desire to be a better leader both in your classroom and our building is contagious.  Everything we plan, (or I suggest) is together without complaint.  Each of us share ideas and we work off of what the other suggests; it's a true partnership and friendship!

To Sammi, who knew two years ago when we were participating in the TRC grant, offered through Region XI, that we would be across the hall from each other, collaborating daily on best practices for learning, as well as how to create balance between school and home!  You are never too busy to help anyone in our department and always follow up to make sure we are prepared for our day.  You are a welcomed smile as I start each day!

To Stephanie, who knew our BISD/GCISD paths would cross and form a friendship that encourages us to be better teachers, even if it means giving a 10, instead of a 0 :)  You bring joy to so many lives with your passion for innovative teaching and willingness to take risks, all for the success of your students!  When are we starting our book club?

To Olivia, the most amazing co-teacher we have been blessed to work with in room 27.  You go over and beyond with our ELL learners.  From early morning sessions to after school tutorials, I appreciate how you hold our Falcons accountable for their behavior & learning.  You have a heart of gold 💛

To Kathryn, who willing to listen and provide feedback.  I'm eager to hear what you think about topics and to hear about your experiences.  Because we share some fundamental life experiences, we connect on many levels and I respect what you do for our school community.  I'm looking forward to walking alongside you during our STEM journey!

Since I've arrived at my new job, everyone who calls this building home has embraced my presence, warmly receiving my ideas and help.  I have come to enjoy the lunch time conversations, the laughter and smiles during PLC and most of all how we can share our successes and challenges, as we all learn together.

Love the fun we have in the 20 Hallway!
I am so blessed to work with others who encourage me to be a better educator and person.  They are the many reasons my days are filled with JOY.

Who brings you JOY?

No comments