Another Page in My Story

Sunday, June 30, 2019
Over the past several years, I have the opportunity to work for several principals, in various school settings.  Principals who reminded me of what I am capable of accomplishing as a teacher, stretching and guiding my thinking as I took risks to better meet the needs of my learners and most of, led by example.  

When I was offered the 7th grade math position a year ago, I felt at peace and knew that the Lord brought me to Hughes for a reason.  Little did I realize, He was preparing me for what was to come. I was greeted with smiles back in August and peace of mind when my mother faced surgery in October.  As months would go by, our school leadership team would change, due to career opportunities.  Tricia Lyday, an assistant principal, stepped into the role of our academic principal.

It was during the spring semester, where I was reminded of why I loved being a teacher.  I found myself having conversations with Tricia about our standards and best practices, as well as the importance of having a classroom where learners feel valued and loved.  These conversations sparked a much needed enthusiasm during our fast approaching state testing season.

Fast forward to a just a few days ago, when Tricia officially became the new principal at Frazier Elementary. While it may seem unconventional to leave after just one year, the Lord had other plans.  When Tricia asked me to join her at Frazier, teaching math and science,  I knew it was an opportunity from the Lord I couldn’t pass.  I always pray, asking God to put me where He needs me, as well as to put me where the joy of teaching and learning will continue to grow in my heart.
I am excited about what our upcoming year will bring both for our Frazier Bears, but also myself!  Diving into our 4th grade math and science TEKS, I've already begun to see the connection between the foundational skills taught in 4th grade and the middle school TEKS.  I can't wait to begin laying a foundation that will spark a love of learning in both math and science.

As we close the door one last time at Hughes and open the door at Frazier for the first time, I'm already looking forward to the growth and learning that happens in room 304!

No comments